I started gardening in 2015 and now I have one year experience with gardening in Zone 10 – San Diego. Following are some quick notes which might help someone like me.
- Find you gardening Zone
- Understand Gardening Soil
- Learn growing from seed, try home-made seed growing kit with newspaper pots. Absolute zero investment in this seed kit.
Low maintenance and abundant flowering plant. Every beginner must try with this.
- Euryops/ Yellow daisy like flower is a low maintenance native plant with abundant flowering.
You are tempted to grow Rose as beginner. Have a strong heart, growing beautiful rose with healthy foliage need years of experience. so, it’s a journey
- As a beginner, it’s good you start in pot
- Rose needs lots of water in summer
- Use Rose soil
- Use Rose fertilizer.
- If you think , Rose will grow in soil and fertilizer common for other plants that ain’t happening !
Tip – You can use banana peel for organic supply of potassium(K)
Trying Seeds / Regrow Root
- Use egg shells for slugs
- Use Neem oils to keep your flowering plant away from spider mites and aphids
- Do not plant delphinium outdoor in summer. San Diego summer is not good for delphinium
- Follow waterwise gardening rules
- Must get Acquainted with Gardening Jargon
Hope you find them useful. This year I will try for a beautiful kitchen garden and follow what I have learned from my own experience.
Share your beginner gardening experience with us in comment section below or share on our facebook page.