How to grow Mango tree from seed
It’s a season when I am enjoying yummy Mangos. So, instead of throwing the seed away I thought of planting it. Please find steps below.
1. Carefully remove the outer hard covering of the seed and take out the softer part which is called as “cotyledon”. The seed can vary in colours, I have noticed white and green colour seeds.
Avoid hitting the seed while removing the outer hard shell.
2. Take a paper towel, wrap the seed carefully. Spray the water just to make it moist. Keep this inside a ziploc bag and place it indoor near to the window where it can receive sunlight.
Avoid too much of water on paper towel.Please note, you don’t have to spray water daily.
3. After 1-2 weeks you will notice the roots popping up as shown below. As per my experience, the root growth also depend on the temperature and sunlight received.
4. Once, you ensure the roots , transfer it to the pot as shown below.
– Fill in potting mix soil in 4 inch pot. Water it thoroughly and keep it for 5-10 mins
– Plant the seed downward as shown below
After you finished planting the seed, place the plastic sheet on head and tighten it with rubber band.
Once, above all steps are over then finished pot will look like as below
Keep it outside. I will keep posting weekly progress of seed . This activity can be shared with children as they can learn and enjoy it with almost no money spend. You are welcome to share your comments and suggestion.
Hope you like it , share the joy.